All
competition
museum
culture
residential
hotels
leisure
work
public
renovations
reuse
extensions
MEDITERRANEAN ARCHITECTURE CENTRE
IN THE “GRAND ARSENAL”, CHANIA

Hellenic Institute of Architecture awards 2004: Distinction in the 
public buildings category

The last vaulted shipshed in the Venetian harbour of Chania, the Grand Arsenal, was completed in 1600. In 1872, an upper storey was added that housed the Christian Community school. After the bombardment of 1941, it entered the collective consciousness as the ‘finest ruin in town’.
The architectural proposal respected the image of the ruin as a historical document and proceeded to integrate new structures in a modern architectural style.
The main concept of the intervention is summarised in the introduction of a new wooden bearing structure that is integrated into the series of earlier modifications of the monument: this supports the ruin and organises the main rooms through circulation around a main foyer that offers views of the various events.

1998 - 1999

client
Municipality of Chania (Crete)

NTUA research programme,
preliminary and final study

project team
Y. Kizis, N. Venianakis D. Leventis,
 Y. Zavoleas, Y. Kavallinis, M. Konida,
S. Liliou, E. Mantziou, N. Farantouri

construction
GILMA S.A.

architects in charge
Architektoniki EPE - 
P. Grammatopoulos, C. Panousakis
and K. Mavrakakis, A & G Varoudakis