All
competition
museum
culture
residential
hotels
leisure
work
public
renovations
reuse
extensions
OPEN-AIR WATER-POWER MUSEUM
IN DIMITSANA

project
first phase 1986
second phase 1992

The Open-air Water-power Museum lies about 2 km outside Dimitsana at the spring of Ai-Yianni, in an area with abundant running water and dense vegetation.
A watermill with a fulling tub and miller’s house in the same building, a gunpowder mill and a tannery with the tanner’s house, have all been restored in an area of 1000 m2. The ruins of two tanneries have also been embellished. The museum is devoted to the presentation of basic pre-industrial techniques based on the use of water as the main energy source, used in primary spheres of life (food, clothing, war).
The overall museological exploitation of the space was based on a long-term ethnological and historical investigation and on the restoration of the buildings and pre-industrial machinery housed in them.

1986 / 2010

client
C.T.F. ETVA

project team
A.Masouridis, D. Leventis
A.Eksadaktilos

civil engineer
Vl. Koumousis, K. Spiliopoulos

installations
P. Efstathopoulos

museum design
S. Papadopoulos, A. Oikonomou

construction
G. Diamandopoulos